Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Food View- Breakfast in a Ball jar? Sure! Why not?


As I sit here at my lovely blogging station aka computer desk, I am eating my breakfast from this exact jar.
You are probably wondering, "Hey? What the....hey?"
I thought the same thing folks when I seen this recipe over at Optimal Living's Facebook page.

Cold oatmeal you say? Um, I guess I will try most things once.

I was extremely surprised how much I liked the cold, overnight oatmeal. 
For me, it has become a morning staple(when I remember to quickly whip some up the night before).
It is a super fast breakfast with a lot of healthy goodness inside.

Let me show you how easy it is to make!

First off, you do not need a pint size mason jar BUT lately I have been having a small love affair with all things mason jars, especially Ball Mason Jars....AND I am trying to get the plastic stuff out of my kitchen as well, so mason jars make a great container to store food. AND they are charming as well!

Ingredients: 
3/4 cup of rolled oats(Old Fashioned). I use:
3/4 cup of milk. I have to use almond milk but any whole-fat milk will work for this recipe. I have also seen recipes that use organic yogurt as well. I use:


1/3 cup of any kind of berries you would like to use. Typically I use raspberries, but it will not matter. This will completely just be personal preference. 

1 TBSP of Chia SeedsHere is the brand I use(click).



1 TBSP of pure maple syrup
The REAL stuff. Not Mrs. Butterworth, Log Cabin, or Aunt Jemima(do they even make Aunt Jemima anymore?). There is nothing real about most of the "maple syrup" on the grocery shelves. Although if you read the ingredients, you will probably be able to find 1 or 2 on the shelf that is the real thing. These WILL NOT contain, High Fructose Corn Syrup(HFCS)! Yes real, pure maple syrup is expensive but you use much less than that "other stuff", so to me, it is worth the extra expense.
Here is one I use. Another bonus? It is local!


Next step is to put all these ingredients in your jar, stir or shake(cover), put in fridge over night (hence Overnight Oatmeal) and Enjoy in the morning! There ya have it, quick and easy!

To me, it was like dessert for breakfast and very filling, with lots of healthy goodness packed into a pint size jar. 
Much better than a bowl of lucky charms, cheerios, fruit loops and any of that other candy in a box we have been brain washed into thinking is a great, healthy breakfast.

Let me know if you try it, and what you think of it!

Enjoy the View~
Jenifer


No comments:

Post a Comment