Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Food View...I roasted a chicken and I liked it....the taste of its tender breast meat

Are all of you singing that blog title?
I know I was when I finally, for the very first time, roasted a whole chicken, by myself!

Yes, I am at a certain age where everyone who is anyone probably wonders: "She's never roasted a chicken?"
Nope, No I have not thank you very much.
Until a couple days ago.
See I use to never even eat meat with bones still in it.
Until I got "edumacated" on how much goodness all the bones hold.
Do I eat the bones? 
Um, no. 
Because that would be totally crossing the line for me.
However when I have used up all the chicken meat, I throw them bones into a pot of water with some onions, carrots, celery, garlic, salt and a little Apple Cider Vinegar(to extract the goodness from the bones) and make a killer pot of chicken broth. I will save all the details on my chicken broth for another post. It definitely deserves it's own glory!

So let's get on to this fabulously simple roasted chicken and the recipe I used.....just in case you are in the same boat as me and have not taken the step to roast your own.



I start with a whole chicken, preferably organic, pasture raised.
Make sure it is completely cleaned out on the inside. They already do that for me where I purchase mine, THANK THE LORD!


I then put the chicken in a pan deep enough to roast it and to catch all the juices. I rubbed the inside of my chicken with 2 garlic cloves and 1 TBSP of Italian Seasonings. 
If you do not have a mixed Italian Seasoning use 1 tsp of thyme, 1 tsp of rosemary, and 1 tsp of oregano.
Then I rubbed the outside of my chicken with Olive Oil, salt, and pepper. I made sure the breast side was face down. I heard somewhere that it stays more tender that way(and it did).


At this point I already have my oven preheated to 450 degrees. 
Roast chicken at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes turn your oven down to 400 degrees and roast your bird for another 35-45 minutes(for a 2-2 1/2 lb-er) or 60 minutes (for a 3-5 lb-er).
I also made sure the breast of the chicken had an internal temp of 165 degrees or more when I took it out of the oven.



And this here is the finished product Folks. 
Crispy and Juicy!
For our family of 3 this can turn into at least 2-3 meals. So I don't get too wound up about the price of my organic, pasture chicken. 
You can serve it with a side of rice, baked potato, or fried potato & veggies.
Turn it into chicken salad sandwiches the next day or add it to salad greens with any type of fixings you want.
Then for the final meal I make soup: chicken dumpling, chicken noodle, or chicken & rice.
YUM!

It is super easy, super simple, super economical, and super delicious.
If you have not tried it, go for it!

And while dinner is roasting, kick your feet up and.............

Enjoy the View~
Jenifer

No comments:

Post a Comment